Friday, 9 August 2013

Reader mailbag: censorship edition

Loyal reader Lliam Munro sends me the following:
Hi, Eric.
I know you periodically blog about censorship so I thought I’d alert you to this in case you’d not seen it. 
I wondered what sort of movie would get banned in NZ so checked IMDB for the two films that generated the fine, which were Megan Is Missing and I Spit on Your Grave.
Without debating the artistic merits of the films, neither of which score very well on IMDB, I did think it noteworthy that one of the banned films Megan Is Missing, which is apparently a found footage film about two girls being murdered by a psycho they meet online, is endorsed by a father whose daughter was murdered by someone she met online and who has become an advocate for online safety.  He thinking it should be required viewing for teenage girls.
So, I thought it was interesting that in New Zealand, Fishpond are being fined $4,200 for providing access to a film that the father of a murdered daughter thinks could raise awareness of safe online behaviour.  Admittedly, by the sound of it, you’d be just as likely to scar your daughter for life, but I still found it noteworthy.
Lliam Munro
I'm not likely to watch either. But I hate that I can't watch either. This is entirely inside-the-asylum kind of stuff. How much better are we really than parts of Alabama that ban sex toys?


  1. The maximum penalty for this is about to increase to 14 years' imprisonment. The same maximum as attempted murder and slavery.

  2. Hi Eric,

    Here's an as yet untold story due to censorship.

    "The media has been ignoring this under pressure from the government.

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and its all here.

    The GCSB law change is largely about protecting parliament and the judiciary from New Zealanders."