Wednesday 28 March 2018

The Economist's Cup

I had an awful lot of fun over at The Spinoff imagining having $212 million in public funding to support a world competition of economists - the Economist's Cup. And if you think there are great benefits to the country from putting that kind of money into the America's Cup, my proposal's even better.

A snippet:
I know you’re going to be sceptical about this but hear me out.

The 2021 Economist’s Cup should be held in Wellington. This annual event, which will first be held in three years, will bring some of the world’s best economists to Wellington to compete in being great at being an economist.

You might not think this is much of a spectator sport and that it might be a little too niche for the $212 million in public funding the event would require.

And you would be wrong.
If you have half as much fun reading it as I had writing it, you'll still have a lot of fun. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment