Friday 14 May 2010

Another NZ legal bleg

I've seen a fair few online summaries of folks' rights when detained by police in the United States. In short: say nothing except that you wish to speak only to an attorney. And, ask whether you are free to leave or whether you are being detained. If they're just asking questions hoping you'll trip up but you're not under detention, it's worth knowing that you're actually free to go.

James at L'Esprit de l'escalier begs for similar summary advice for New Zealand. I don't know if such a source exists. The best I've been able to find is now almost ten years out of date. Anybody know whether the link here still applies or whether a better source now exists?

Update: Gonzo recommends this summary and apparently is having problems with the comments form. I hope this isn't a common problem.

4 comments:

  1. One thing that's changed is that you now have to give occupation, phone number and email address as well as name, address and date of birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they were rather persistent on the occupation question. I repeatedly asked whether I was legally obliged to do so but they refused to inform me of my rights/obligations. I'd really be interested to know whether they were required to tell me these when I asked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, if we were having problems with the comment form, then we'd hardly be able to post a comment to tell you about it. :-)

    It only works for me if I have javascript enabled - I usually turn it off, and turn it on just for you since you're special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PaulL: Awww...slight warming in the sub-cockle heart regions....

    ReplyDelete